Your Complete Home Safety and Home Security Checklist
October 17, 2016
Is your home as safe and secure as you think? At LockLatch we understand that as a South African, protecting your home and our loved ones is the number one priority. Which is why we’ve put together this comprehensive home safety and home security checklist of questions – allowing you to fully audit the status of your home and adjust where needed. If you answer “no” to any of these, it will identify areas of home safety and security that you can look at.
General Home Security and Safety
- Is there adequate lighting in your passageways?
- Have you tested your alarm system in the last month?
- Just moved in – did you change the locks?
- Are all your electrical cords and wires out of reach or off walking areas?
- Have you checked your electrical outlets – that they’re not overloaded – in the last month?
- Are all appliances pushed back from the counters so that they cannot be pulled down?
- Does your fireplace have a spark screen?
- Do you have security and safety emergency numbers visible?
- If you have children, do you have a safety gate at the top or bottom of the stairs?
- Are all your valuables: electronics, jewellery and important docs out of sight and locked away?
- Have you checked that none of your outlets are overloaded?
Kitchen Home Security and Safety
- Are all your wires and cords safely stored away from the sink and other water sources?
- Are all harmful and flammable chemicals and substances stored safely out of reach?
Door and Window Security and Safety
- Have you installed break-resistant glass to high threat glass doors or windows?
- Are you using window restrictors or door latches for good safe ventilation?
- Do you have a peep hole installed in your front door?
- Do all your windows have working locks and pins?
Outside Security and Safety
- Have you installed motion sensor lights?
- Is your tool shed and garage secure?
- Have you trimmed bushes and trees to eliminate hiding spots?
- Are your rolling bins securely locked and stowed away?
We hope these home security tips and safety checklist helps you protect your home and your loved ones.
If you’re looking for more DIY home security tips, check out our 7 DIY Home Security Tips To Do This Weekend post. Be sure to follow us on Facebook for even more home safety and home security tips and tricks.
- Stop Opportunistic Theft
- Allow Secure Pet Access
- Stop Children Falling
- Stop Wind Damage
- Stop Baboons and Monkeys
- Protect Boats & Caravan Hatch Windows
- Fits any Door or Window
- Lifetime Guarantee
- Quick and Easy to Install
- Fasteners Included
- Colour Match to any Frame
- Free Delivery in South Africa